Can someone remarry even without going to court due to absence or separation?

Could someone automatically remarry after being separated, or when the other spouse had been “absent”, for several years? There are a number of questions along this line that were posted in the Forum. While there’s already an initial discussion on this, the question keeps cropping up, so let’s put this issue to rest once and for all.

The confusion appears to be based on Article 83 of the Civil Code, which reads:

Art. 83. Any marriage subsequently contracted by any person during the lifetime of the first spouse of such person with any other person other than such first spouse shall be illegal and void from its performance, unless:

(2) The first spouse had been absent for seven consecutive years at the time of the second marriage without the spouse present having news of the absentee being alive, or if the absentee, though he has been absent for less than seven years, is generally considered as dead and believed to be so by the spouse present at the time of the contracting such subsequent marriage, or if the absentee is presumed dead according to articles 390 and 391. The marriage so contracted shall be valid in any of the three cases until declared null and void by a competent court.

If you stumbled on this provision, you may have this idea that a spouse can remarry even without securing a judicial declaration of presumptive death. In other words, there is NO need to go to court and it’s enough that any of the following circumstances is present: (a) there be no news that such absentee is still alive; (b) the absentee is generally considered to be dead and believed to be so by the spouse present; and (c) the absentee is presumed dead under Article 390 and 391 of the Civil Code.

This understanding would have been correct, except that Article 83 of the Civil Code was superseded by the Family Code, which now provides:

Art. 41. A marriage contracted by any person during the subsistence of a previous marriage shall be null and void, unless before the celebration of the subsequent marriage, the prior spouse had been absent for four consecutive years and the spouse present had a well-founded belief that the absent spouse was already dead. In case of disappearance where there is danger of death under the circumstances set forth in the provision of Article 391 of the Civil Code, an absence of only two years shall be sufficient.

For the purpose of contracting the subsequent marriage under the preceding paragraph, the spouse present must institute a summary proceeding as provided in this Code for the declaration of presumptive death of the absentee, without prejudice to the effect of reappearance of the absent spouse.

As the law now stands, a married person must, for purposes of remarriage, file the necessary action in court and ask for a declaration of presumptive death of the “absent” spouse. The crucial differences under the Civil Code and Family Code provisions are:

1. Under the Family Code, the time required for the presumption to arise has been shortened to 4 years.

2. Under the Family Code, there is need for a judicial declaration of presumptive death to enable the spouse present to remarry.

3. Under the Family Code, a stricter standard is imposed: there must be a “well founded belief” that the absentee is already dead before a petition for declaration of presumptive death can be granted. A married person must conduct a search for his missing spouse with such diligence as to give rise to a “well-founded belief” that he/she is dead.

If you need an extended discussion on declaration of presumptive death, please click here to read the previous article entitled: “Presumptive death of a spouse for subsequent marriage.” On the other hand, just to be clear: no matter how long a spouse is “absent”, the present spouse CANNOT remarry unless there is a judicial declaration of presumptive death. (Reference: Republic vs. Nolasco, G.R. No. 94053, 17 March 1993)

201 thoughts on “Can someone remarry even without going to court due to absence or separation?

  1. jcg

    Can a wife who filed a petition for the presumptive death of her husband and luckily been granted, still needs to wait 300 days in order for her to contract a subsequent marriage? thank you

  2. Vic

    Good day atty.!
    A couple has been seperated for almost 18 yrs. Both still leaving and have their own family. Is the marriage already nor automatically be void. And can they marry their respective partners now?

  3. marigie

    goodday po,,ako po ay may 2 anak,3taon lng po kaming magsama ng asawa ko kasal po kami noon taong 2000,,sa ngaun po ay may kinakasama na po cia at mi anak na raw po sila..ang nagbabalita lng po sa akin ay ang mga pren at batchmate ko..ako po ay nasa abroad ng mahigit 12-13 taon,,ako na po ang bumubuhay at sumusuporta sa dalawa kung anak,,,miski isang singko hnd po nia aq tinulungan miski isang singko,,,wla n po syan itinulong sa dalawa nmin anak,,gusto ko pong maAnnull o devorce sa kanya..pede po ba nyo aqon tulungan na mawalang bisa ang amin kasal…

  4. hermione

    Tanong ko po kasi ang kapatid ko hiwalay cya sa asawa nya seaman din asawa nya ..hiwalay i think 3 yrs na ..pwede ho ba magpakasal ang asaw nya kahit hindi sila annul ???

  5. Judie

    Hello there ! i am a mother of 3 grown kids.I’m 16yrs separated to my ex husband whom I marry yr 1985 and got separated year 2000 we had 3kids on my custody.. He doesn’t even give any support to my kids since then and We don’t have communication for 14 yrs. Suddenly he appeared after my kids done with their studies and got a job……..
    the worst is he asked from my kids a financial support.’ I’ve no against about this anyways as long as my kids don’t complain about it. All my concern now Is how could i get a second chance to be with the one i want to live with for the rest of my life legally…Is it possible that our marriage is void or not valid anymore.. Can I marry again without filing annulment.. Can I have my singleness if ever even not filing annulment? Please I need ur help..Me and my bf want now to get married But, annullment is a bloody thing i’ve known and we cannot afford it financially… I really appreciate all your opinions and help.. Hoping for a sooner response..Thank you….


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *