Annulment, Divorce and Legal Separation in the Philippines: Questions and Answers

There are many questions relating to annulment and divorce in the Philippines, and many of the concerns of our readers had already been addressed in previous articles. Nevertheless, to consolidate everything for everyone’s easy reference, here are the FAQs on annulment and divorce in the Philippines:

Is divorce allowed under Philippine laws?

No, divorce is not allowed in the Philippines. However, there are certain instances wherein the divorce secured abroad by the foreigner-spouse, and even by former Filipinos, are recognized under Philippine laws. More discussion here (Judicial Recognition of a Foreign Divorce Decree).

Would it make any difference if I marry abroad where divorce is allowed?

No. Filipinos are covered by this prohibition based on the “nationality principle”, regardless of wherever they get married (and regardless where they get a decree of divorce). Discussions relating to Overseas Filipinos or OFWs are transferred in Part V.

Is “annulment” different from a “declaration of nullity” of marriage?

Yes. In essence, “annulment” applies to a marriage that is considered valid, but there are grounds to nullify it. A “declaration of nullity” of marriage, on the other hand, applies to marriages that are void or invalid from the very beginning. In other words, it was never valid in the first place.

Also, an action for annulment of voidable marriages may prescribe, while an action for declaration of nullity of marriage does not prescribe.

So, if a marriage is void from the very beginning (void ab initio), there’s no need to file anything in court?

For purposes of remarriage, there must be a court order declaring the marriage as null and void. Entering into a subsequent marriage without such court declaration means that: (a) the subsequent marriage is void; and (b) the parties open themselves to a possible charge of bigamy.

What if no marriage certificate could be found?

Justice Sempio-Dy, in the “Handbook of on the Family Code of the Philippines” (p. 26, 1997 reprint), says: “The marriage certificate is not an essential or formal requisite of marriage without which the marriage will be void. An oral marriage is, therefore, valid, and failure of a party to sign the marriage certificate or the omission of the solemnizing officer to send a copy of the marriage certificate to the proper local civil registrar, does not invalidate the marriage. Also the mere fact that no record of marriage can be found, does not invalidate the marriage provided all the requisites for its validity are present.” (Citations omitted)

Can I file a petition (annulment or declaration of absolute nullity of marriage) even if I am in a foreign country?

Yes, the rules recognize and allow the filing of the petition by Filipinos who are overseas.

What are the grounds for annulment?

1. Lack of parental consent in certain cases. If a party is 18 years or over, but below 21, and the marriage was solemnized without the consent of the parents/guardian. However, the marriage is validated if, upon reaching 21, the spouses freely cohabited with the other and both lived together as husband and wife.

2. Insanity. A marriage may be annulled if, at the time of marriage, either party was of unsound mind, unless such party after coming to reason, freely cohabited with the other as husband and wife.

3. Fraud. The consent of either party was obtained by fraud, unless such party afterwards, with full knowledge of the facts constituting the fraud, freely cohabited with the other as husband and wife. Fraud includes: (i) non-disclosure of a previous conviction by final judgment of the other party of a crime involving moral turpitude; (ii) concealment by the wife of the fact that at the time of the marriage, she was pregnant by a man other than her husband; (iii) concealment of sexually transmissible disease or STD, regardless of its nature, existing at the time of the marriage; or (iv) concealment of drug addiction, habitual alcoholism or homosexuality or lesbianism existing at the time of the marriage. However, no other misrepresentation or deceit as to character, health, rank, fortune or chastity shall constitute such fraud as will give grounds for action for the annulment of marriage.

4. Force, intimidation or undue influence. If the consent of either party was obtained by any of these means, except in cases wherein the force, intimidation or undue influence having disappeared or ceased, the complaining party thereafter freely cohabited with the other as husband and wife.

5. Impotence. At the time of marriage, either party was physically incapable of consummating the marriage with the other, and such incapacity continues and appears to be incurable. Impotence is different from being infertile.

6. STD. If, at the time of marriage, either party was afflicted with a sexually-transmissible disease found to be serious and appears to be incurable. If the STD is not serious or is curable, it may still constitute fraud (see No. 3 above).

What if a spouse discovers that his/her spouse is a homosexual or is violent, can he/she ask for annulment?

Homosexuality or physical violence, by themselves, are not sufficient to nullify a marriage. At the very least, however, these grounds may be used as basis for legal separation.

How is “legal separation” different from annulment?

The basic difference is this – in legal separation, the spouses are still considered married to each other, and, thus, may not remarry.

Is legal separation faster than annulment?

Not necessarily. The petitioner in a legal separation, just like in an annulment, is still required to prove the allegations contained in the petition. More important is the mandatory 6-month “cooling off” period in legal separation cases. This is not required in annulment or declaration of nullity cases. The court is required to schedule the pre-trial conference not earlier than six (6) months from the filing of the petition. This period is meant to give the spouses an opportunity for reconciliation.

What are the grounds for legal separation?

1. Repeated physical violence or grossly abusive conduct directed against the petitioner, a common child, or a child of the petitioner.

2. Physical violence or moral pressure to compel the petitioner to change religious or political affiliation.

3. Attempt of respondent to corrupt or induce the petitioner, a common child, or a child of the petitioner, to engage in prostitution, or connivance in such corruption or inducement.

4. Final judgment sentencing the respondent to imprisonment of more than six years, even if pardoned.

5. Drug addiction or habitual alcoholism of the respondent.

6. Lesbianism or homosexuality of the respondent.

7. Contracting by the respondent of a subsequent bigamous marriage, whether in the Philippines or abroad.

8. Sexual infidelity or perversion.

9. Attempt by the respondent against the life of the petitioner.

10. Abandonment of petitioner by respondent without justifiable cause for more than one year.

The term “child” shall include a child by nature or by adoption.

Should I file a petition for legal separation, can I use my own sexual infidelity as a ground?

It is interesting to note that among the grounds for legal separation, as listed above, only “sexual infidelity or perversion” is not qualified by the phrase “of the respondent” or “by respondent”. This may give the impression that the sexual infidelity of the petitioner, or the one who filed the petition, may be used as a ground in legal separation. We must consider, however, that legal separation is filed by the innocent spouse or the “aggrieved party” against the guilty spouse.

What happens if after learning that your husband (or wife) is unfaithful (No. 8 above), you still co-habitate with him/her?

This may be construed as condonation, which is a defense in actions for legal separation. In addition to condonation, the following are the defenses in legal separation:

1. Consent.
2. Connivance (in the commission of the offense or act constituting the ground for legal separation).
3. Mutual guilt (both parties have given ground for legal separation).
4. Collusion (to obtain decree of legal separation).
5. Prescription (5 years from the occurence of the cause for legal separation).

If you’re separated from your spouse for 4 years, is that a sufficient ground for annulment?

No. De facto separation is not a ground for annulment. However, the absence of 2 or 4 years, depending on the circumstances, may be enough to ask the court for a declaration of presumptive death of the “absent spouse”, in which case the petitioner may again re-marry. See Can someone remarry without going to court due to absence or separation?

What are the grounds for declaration of nullity of marriage?

1. Minority (those contracted by any party below 18 years of age even with the consent of parents or guardians).

2. Lack of authority of solemnizing officer (those solemnized by any person not legally authorized to perform marriages, unless such marriages were contracted with either or both parties believing in good faith that the solemnizing officer had the legal authority to do so).

3. Absence of marriage license (except in certain cases).

4. Bigamous or polygamous marriages (except in cases where the other spouse is declared as presumptively dead).

5. Mistake in identity (those contracted through mistake of one contracting party as to the identity of the other).

6. After securing a judgement of annulment or of asolute nullity of mariage, the parties, before entering into the subsequent marriage, failed to record with the appropriate registry the: (i) partition and distribute the properties of the first marriage; and (ii) delivery of the children’s presumptive legitime.

7. Incestous marriages (between ascendants and descendants of any degree, between brothers and sisters, whether of the full or half blood).

8. Void by reason of public policy. Marriages between (i) collateral blood relatives whether legitimate or illegitimate, up to the fourth civil degree; (ii) step-parents and step-children; (iii) parents-in-law and children-in-law; (iv) adopting parent and the adopted child; (v) surviving spouse of the adopting parent and the adopted child; (vi) surviving spouse of the adopted child and the adopter; (vii) an adopted child and a legitimate child of the adopter; (viii) adopted children of the same adopter; and (ix) parties where one, with the intention to marry the other, killed that other person’s spouse, or his or her own spouse.

9. Psychological Incapacity. Psychological incapacity, which a ground for annulment of marriage, contemplates downright incapacity or inability to take cognizance of and to assume the basic marital obligations; not a mere refusal, neglect or difficulty, much less, ill will, on the part of the errant spouse. Irreconcilable differences, conflicting personalities, emotional immaturity and irresponsibility, physical abuse, habitual alcoholism, sexual infidelity or perversion, and abandonment, by themselves, also do not warrant a finding of psychological incapacity. We already discussed the guidelines and illustrations of psychological incapacity, including a case involving habitual lying, as well as the steps and procedure in filing a petition.

Please note, however, that there are still other grounds to declare a marriage as null and void.


Browse through the comments below to check if your questions are similar to that of others. Other common issues are consolidated in Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Costs in seeking an Annulment, and other related posts. You can check the Related Posts at the bottom of each post.

814 thoughts on “Annulment, Divorce and Legal Separation in the Philippines: Questions and Answers

  1. kpm_0301

    Dear Atty,

    I would like to inquire abt the bigamy case. My cousin has remarried before his first marriage was dissolved. Now his second wife got into trouble and got a fight with her friend about a certain loan. Her friend wants her to shoulder the loan or the money that was missing and they told her that if she do not pay that they will file a case against her and will definitely petition a bigamy case for her and my cousin. Threatening her that they can easily issue a warrant of arrest because her friend is an attorney and has access to most city halls and nbi. How will that be possible? They are both scared, scared enough to come to work because they know that somebody might just catch them and arrest them.

    1. Melissa

      Atty posible po Ba na mapawalang bisa Ang kasal nmin Ng dati qng Asawa .kasal po Kami Sa civil at nagpakasal po xa Sa Muslim Sa ibang babae .

    2. joseph

      Revenge Your Ex

      Each day hundreds of men and women seek revenge on their ex-mates for a
      variety of reasons, usually because they got dumped or where cheated on.
      Revenge comes in many ways. It typically starts by using social media to
      vent, and then escalates from there. Now sites like “Get Revenge On Your Ex”
      for a fee will help you get pay back or revenge.

      So what is the best way to get revenge besides slashing her tires, posting
      nude photos of her and so on.

      The best way according to the web site Right Choices 101 is to live your
      life well. This is true no matter who you are seeking revenge on. Coworkers,
      past bosses, bad friends or ex-lovers. Put your energy into succeeding and
      enjoying your life, not wasting your time, energy and resources on revenge
      that can end up costing you much more. Plus, when you seek revenge, you send
      them a massage that you have not gotten over the relationship. It’s much
      better to show you are indifferent and don’t care.

      According to Kenneth Agee of A Foreign Affair, a service that specializes in
      helping men find young beautiful foreign women, “The best revenge is to date
      or marry a women 10 years younger than your ex. This will piss her off to no
      end. No woman ever wants to be replaced with a younger, more attractive
      woman. Just like a man never likes to get replaced by a guy who is wealthier
      or more successful.

      I will never forget one of my first clients we took to Saint Petersburg,
      Russia.” says Agee, “The client told me that two days on our tour was better
      than two years of therapy. Having hundreds of attractive women fighting over
      you gets your ex out of your mind pretty quick.

      I personally went through break up when my ex ran off with another man. But
      a short time later, I met a new lady who was ten times better. I ran into
      that man who stole my ex and I gave him a big thanks. In fact, I could not
      thank him enough. He was stuck with an older nagging women, while I was now
      with a young, beautiful, caring women. Plus, my ex had gained about 100
      pounds. I don’t look at that fellow as any kind of enemy but as the person
      who saved me from my ex and years of suffering.” This is the best a revenge
      when you win without lowering yourself.

      Other sites like “Get Over Her Now” give practical advice and tips for
      getting over a past relationship.

      Top Tips from Get Over Her Now:

      Start making platonic relationships with as many women as possible, old,
      young, skinny, fat, cute or ugly. This greatly helps you get back in the
      game of socializing with the opposite sex. And it opens up lots
      opportunities to meet their cute attractive friends in a more relaxed
      environment. This also helps you build your game and confidence.

      Improve yourself, start working out, get up early every day and exercise.

      Buy new clothes. Dressing better makes you feel better and improves your

      Focus on work and getting a promotion or raise. Don’t let a break up effect
      your work negatively. Put that extra effort into work and it will pay off
      with a better position and more money. This will also build your confidence
      and help attract better quality women.

      Any time you are depressed, improving yourself helps greatly. When you feel
      depressed, don’t sit and watch TV and then sleep-in late. Get out and do
      something that will make you feel like you’ve accomplished something. Take a
      class, go hiking, fix something you’ve been putting off.

      Don’t start drinking. Drinking will always have a negative impact on your
      life. Don’t drink while depressed or when you are trying to get over some
      one. After all, drinking is for celebrating. So if you are not celebrating
      something, don’t drink. A quality women is not going to be attracted to
      someone who drinks a lot or has a drinking problem.

      Don’t sleep in; sleeping late increases depression. Get up as early as you
      can and go for a walk, take a hike, or go to the Gym. Research shows getting
      up early and exercising can eliminate depression. You will have no game be

      Don’t binge eat. If you start gaining weight, you will feel less self-worth
      and lose your confidence. Confidence is a quality that women are extremely
      attracted to.

      Conclusion, the best revenge is when you improve your life so well that she
      realizes she made a big mistake. And satisfaction comes when you meet
      someone so much better, you are glad the ex is gone. After all, if you are
      seeking revenge, how great could she really have been in the first place!

    3. idol

      atty if the parental advised is fake and the license of marriage is issued before three months, does the marriage is void?

  2. emcoluk

    If two foreigners marry in the Philippines and then obtain a divorce outside the Philippines…is this divorce recognised under Philippines Law

  3. Atty. Fred Post author

    emcoluk, foreigners are governed by their own laws when it comes to divorce. As long as they validly secure a divorce outside the Philippines, the divorce decree is respected under Philippines laws.

    kpm, I’m terribly sorry; please read the “Terms“. In the near future, we may be discussing preliminary investigations, warrantless arrests and inquests in criminal cases. You might see the answers in that post. Thank you.

  4. rwan


    is there such a law where a married woman can buy a property using her maiden name? will it be still considered ‘conjugal’?


  5. rwan

    in addition to what i wrote, i got married in 1997 and got separated in 2004. the father of my 9-yr old son and i have no communication since then (no child support, etc which is not the issue). i’m planning to buy a house & lot but wonder if i can use my maiden name. and of course, i don’t want him to have a ‘share’ with this in case i file for annulment in the future.

    tnx again

  6. Atty. Fred Post author

    Rwan, I’m not aware of any. On the other hand, a married woman is required to use the family name of the husband. The extent by which a married woman may acquire property under her own name largely depends on the kind of property relationship legally established during the time of marriage. Beyond that information, I suggest you consult with your lawyer since we’re prohibited from giving any legal advice in the absence of atty-client relationship. Of course, something could be done to achieve your goal and I trust your lawyer knows it.

    Good luck!

    1. edward

      attorney fred, i need your advise regarding for legal separation and annulment, i want to marry again the girls who love me in true , im already separated around 3 years so i want to clear my statues , what should i do ? im waiting for your response thank you and more power God bless…

      1. Marlene

        Dear Atty. Fred,

        I’m separated for more than 11 yrs. now. but not legally. He doesnt support our kids. I try to contact him to ask to support now for our kids, but all the contact numbers are not reachable. Can I file a case to him, coz Im working as an OFW. I want also to file for annulment. Please help. Looking forward for your response. Thank you.

  7. marchfour08

    Attorney Fred,

    Could that be a valid ground to file for a petition of declaration of absolute nullity of marriage? Is that certification an enough and valid proof that we don’t have any marriage license? How long will it usually take for such petition in family court? How long does it usually cost? Should I really need to wait for the court’s declaration before I could get married? Please help me. Thanks.

  8. angel_jasmine

    Attorney Fred,

    Is there a way to file or get an annulment eventhough the wife doesn’t appear in court? Are there documents that needs to be signed by the wife in the process of the annulment? What if she doesn’t agree to sign? Is it still possible to continue the annulment? Is the divorce decree enough to finalize the annulment?

  9. SEK800i

    Atty. Fred,

    Should an annulment be granted, can a church wedding be possible? Thank you for your time. I’m looking forward to your response. God bless.

  10. angel_jasmine

    Atty Fred,

    Will the Philippine court still recognized the divorce even the wife is neither a US immigrant or citizen?

  11. Atty. Fred Post author

    Guys, sorry for the delayed reply, there were technical problems with the blog. First off, please understand that we are prohibited from giving legal advice in this Forum, so you may notice that we have declined from answering some of the questions. Nevertheless, as to general matters, here are some notes that may hopefully point you in the right direction.

    1. As discussed somewhere, it is indispensable, for the purpose of remarriage, to seek an annulment or an order declaring a marriage as null and void. Ckeck with the NSO if a marriage certificate is on file. There’s such a thing as a CENOMAR or a “Certificate of No Marriage Record” (read here).

    2. A decree of annulment may be issued without the other party appearing in court. In fact, the signature or appearance of the other spouse doesn’t mean that the petition will be granted. The other spouse may choose NOT to appear, which is the reason why the public prosecutor is under obligation to check if there’s no collusion between the parties.

    3. There’s a requisite dispensation before someone whose marriage had been annuled may get married again in church.

    By the way, angel_jasmine, I can’t understand your question. Please clarify.

    Good luck to everyone.

    1. jdy

      hi I just want to ask kindly if a lady separated from ex husband more than 7 years there is no relationship anmore after legal marriage in Philippines and than the lady converted to Islam from chruschinty now she is muslim and can she remarry to Muslim man legally if she will do this so about Philippines law thanks

    2. Grace

      Hello sir.
      Just wanna ask that I’m separated for 15 years and I don’t have any contact on him.
      Can I get married again

      1. Sandy

        Hello can married again when you are still married from ur past unless you filed an annulment case. If you have more question to asked you can pm me in my fb account.sandy boncayao

    3. Franz

      Atty hingi lng po ako hiwalay n po ako una ko asawa for almost 9 years po last 2007 nagfile po ako ng annulment sa court sa phil.last 2011 pero di po yun natapos sa ngayon po ay australian citizen n po ako plano ko po magfile ng devorce sa x wife ko po dahil may sariling pamilya n po ko d2 at gusto ko po maging legal n pagsasama namin ang tanong ko po kung magrant po yun devorce ko sa kanya pwede ko din po maging basehan e2 para magrant na din po annulment namin

      1. mylene

        i have afriend that had a live in partner who’s been married before, they were separated 5 years ago, but not legally separated or annuled when they into their relationship.the reason of the separation was the wife’s infidelity. .they have a son , and the wife want to petition their child because she was living in states and already an american citizen.wala na din sila communication except sa child’s need. pwede na po ba sila magpakasal ng friend ko though hindi pa annulled?
        may mga property na ipinangalan sa friend case there will be circumstances happen , maki claim ba yon ng ex nya??

  12. angel_jasmine

    Thanks for the reply atty. fred but I’m still confused.

    So are you saying that eventhough the wife (currently in America and has a divorce decree herself; neither a US immigrant or a US citizen) doesn’t appear in court and doesn’t sign any document in the process of the annulment, the husband can still acquire a decree of annulment? On what grounds can the petition be granted? how long does it normally take?

    If the husband has a copy of the divorce decree, can this be used as a strong evidence that can expedite the process of the annulment? Does the phil. court recognized the divorce decree as legal eventhough the wife is not a citizen of America?

    Can the wife, eventhough not yet annuled, get married in America to a US immigrant? or does it have to be a US citizen to completely consider the previous marriage null?

    Does the wife have the right to have a copy of the annulment decree eventhough she didn’t do anything in the process? What does she need to do to obtain a copy? where?

    I would appreciate your response.

  13. Atty. Fred Post author

    Jasmine, yes, it’s possible to secure an annulment or a declaration of nullity even if the other spouse does not appear or sign anything. As I mentioned earlier, this is the reason why the public prosecutor is under obligation to check if there’s a collusion between the spouses. Please read again this article, because the grounds are discussed in it. In my estimate, the average length of time is 1 year, and it may be shorter or longer depending on the circumstances.

    As long as the spouse seeking the divorce is a Filipino (a former Filipino is an entirely difference matter), any divorce decree issued is not recognized under Phil. laws.

    For your other queries, please check the other articles. You may use the search function the right sidebar.

    Good luck.

    1. Cat

      Gudpm attorney
      My katanungan lang po ako married sa pinas ng forigner tapos ngdevorse sa forigner country pano po ifile dto sa pinas ung annulment dhil wla nmn devorce dto pa reply nmn po ako

      1. Sandy

        Hello cat. Kung nakapagdivorce na sya pede ire cognize dito sa me in may fb for more info po.sandy boncayao

    2. Louie

      Hi sir.. i dont know if active pba tong blog mu .. pero i hope na sana active pa ..
      Minabuti ko ng magreply sa message mu po bka saking mapansin mu ang katanunangan ko.

      As u said above.. if the marraige is void from the very beginning thers no need to file to the court?
      Would that mean na pwede ng magpa kasal anytime ..
      I have a gf and they have been in a void marraige since then.
      What happen is this.. theyv got to both signed a marraige contract that has no civil registrar no. Wc is not a legit paper .and shes 16 yrs of age back then.
      She uses single status on all of her documents. She also able to get a CENOMAR at civil office..
      Atty. Fred sir.. masasabi nyu po ba na pwede na kmi ikasal anytime we want..? If yes .. my question is.. how about the father of her children .. may karapatan po ba sya na mapigilan ang gf ko na ikasal ulit and this time in a legit way..
      And sir .. theyre living in a same house right now . And kinakausap ko gf ko and she said gnagwa nya yun para sa mga anak nya ..
      Theyre living together ever since po.. but now we are deciding to be married .. is this possible sir Fred..
      I hope u may consider answering my querry. Thanks in advance and more power to ure career.. i adore your intentions of helping us to get aware of some legal matters such this.. ????

  14. rwan

    with regards to ur jan27 reply to my msg, can i at least register a property (should i buy one) under my 9-yr old son? how does this go?

    tnx again


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *