Can someone remarry even without going to court due to absence or separation?

Could someone automatically remarry after being separated, or when the other spouse had been “absent”, for several years? There are a number of questions along this line that were posted in the Forum. While there’s already an initial discussion on this, the question keeps cropping up, so let’s put this issue to rest once and for all.

The confusion appears to be based on Article 83 of the Civil Code, which reads:

Art. 83. Any marriage subsequently contracted by any person during the lifetime of the first spouse of such person with any other person other than such first spouse shall be illegal and void from its performance, unless:

(2) The first spouse had been absent for seven consecutive years at the time of the second marriage without the spouse present having news of the absentee being alive, or if the absentee, though he has been absent for less than seven years, is generally considered as dead and believed to be so by the spouse present at the time of the contracting such subsequent marriage, or if the absentee is presumed dead according to articles 390 and 391. The marriage so contracted shall be valid in any of the three cases until declared null and void by a competent court.

If you stumbled on this provision, you may have this idea that a spouse can remarry even without securing a judicial declaration of presumptive death. In other words, there is NO need to go to court and it’s enough that any of the following circumstances is present: (a) there be no news that such absentee is still alive; (b) the absentee is generally considered to be dead and believed to be so by the spouse present; and (c) the absentee is presumed dead under Article 390 and 391 of the Civil Code.

This understanding would have been correct, except that Article 83 of the Civil Code was superseded by the Family Code, which now provides:

Art. 41. A marriage contracted by any person during the subsistence of a previous marriage shall be null and void, unless before the celebration of the subsequent marriage, the prior spouse had been absent for four consecutive years and the spouse present had a well-founded belief that the absent spouse was already dead. In case of disappearance where there is danger of death under the circumstances set forth in the provision of Article 391 of the Civil Code, an absence of only two years shall be sufficient.

For the purpose of contracting the subsequent marriage under the preceding paragraph, the spouse present must institute a summary proceeding as provided in this Code for the declaration of presumptive death of the absentee, without prejudice to the effect of reappearance of the absent spouse.

As the law now stands, a married person must, for purposes of remarriage, file the necessary action in court and ask for a declaration of presumptive death of the “absent” spouse. The crucial differences under the Civil Code and Family Code provisions are:

1. Under the Family Code, the time required for the presumption to arise has been shortened to 4 years.

2. Under the Family Code, there is need for a judicial declaration of presumptive death to enable the spouse present to remarry.

3. Under the Family Code, a stricter standard is imposed: there must be a “well founded belief” that the absentee is already dead before a petition for declaration of presumptive death can be granted. A married person must conduct a search for his missing spouse with such diligence as to give rise to a “well-founded belief” that he/she is dead.

If you need an extended discussion on declaration of presumptive death, please click here to read the previous article entitled: “Presumptive death of a spouse for subsequent marriage.” On the other hand, just to be clear: no matter how long a spouse is “absent”, the present spouse CANNOT remarry unless there is a judicial declaration of presumptive death. (Reference: Republic vs. Nolasco, G.R. No. 94053, 17 March 1993)

283 thoughts on “Can someone remarry even without going to court due to absence or separation?

  1. Jessa

    Dear Atty.
    Good day!
    Gusto ko lang pong mag tanong kung pwede po ba kaming mag pakasal ng kinakasama ko ngayun kahit kasal pa sya sa iba? Pero 7 years na po silang mag kahiwalay with out any communications.

  2. Dr. Sonia

    Please, I need your comment please. Nagpakasal kami ng aking husband ayon sa advice ng kanyang mga in-laws kasi po almost 8 years na siyang nawawala. After 13 years nang kami ay magpakasal, biglang nag appear ang una niyang asawa na may asawa na rin. Recently, namatay po yong una niyang wife sa cancer. Gusto po naming magpakasal ulit para maging valid ang aming kasal kasi daw po void ab initio ang una naming kasal.
    Do we still need to file for nullity of our first marriage bago magpakasal ulit ganong patay na naman ang kanyang unang asawa. Considering that it was not valid from the very beginning, magpapafile pa po ba kami sa korte?

  3. jayarr

    pwede ko maitanong pwede ho ba lang kami kami nalnang nang asawa ko og gumawa ng kasolatan na maghihiwalay na kami at pwede na kami mag pakasal olit kasi kami ngayon ng asawa ko ay hiwalay at pareho maming maikasal pwede bang magsulat kami ng kasondoon at pipirmahan nalng namin


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.