Are You Covered by the Rent Control Law?

If you search the internet, there are various write-ups on the rule that any rent increase should not be more than 7% per year. It’s not surprising, however, that some landlords or lessors have increased rents by an amount higher than 7%. So, what is the coverage of the existing rent control law?

This law is Republic Act (R.A.) No. 9653, otherwise known as the “Rent Control Act of 2009,” the effectivity of which has been extended by the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC) until 31 December 2015.

The law is meant to protect housing tenants in lower income brackets and other beneficiaries from unreasonable rent increases. Hence, under Section 5 of the Rent Control Act of 2009, the law covers only certain residential units: (a) when the total monthly rent does not exceed P10,000 in the National Capital Region and other highly urbanized cities; and (b) when the total monthly rent does not exceed P5,000 in all other areas. Monthly rent in this case does not include utilities and other charges.

Residential units which fall under R.A. No. 9653’s coverage have limits on annual rent increases. Under Section 4 of the law, the monthly rent shall not be increased by more than seven (7%) percent annually for the same lessee. To illustrate, if a condominium unit located in Paranaque City, which is within the National Capital Region, charges a rent which does not exceed P10,000, the lessor may not increase the rent by more than 7% annually. However, if the monthly rent exceeds P10,000, the lessor may increase the rent by ten (10%) percent annually.

22 thoughts on “Are You Covered by the Rent Control Law?

  1. michael

    i would like to know if i can break a lease because the landlord will not fix water and electrical problems that are hazard to my family. i did ask then and they said no,i also mentioned about the roof leaking.

  2. Nigel

    Is rent control law can help me even if I did not sign any contract with the the house care taker not a home owner but she is letting people to rent the house, then she will just terminate the tenant for no reason just her personal reason without any offence. Please I need help with this cause this care taker is not paying taxes with this business and she is using the house for her own profit but the house is not under her or his partners name. Can I file a case against it.

  3. gymser

    Mam/Sir,ask ko lang po…covered po ba dito ang nasa squatters area? No land title po itong paupahan.. Samakatuwid po hindi kanila ang lote kinatatayuan ng paupahan…
    Ang tumatayong may-ari po ay nakatira sa isang subdivision…ano po ang maaari naming gawin?
    Thanks po…


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *